The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) is notifying the public of the availability of an Alaska National Interest Lands Conservation Act (ANILCA) Section 810 Subsistence Evaluation and an ANILCA Title XI application and evaluation for proposed runway safety area improvements at the Kodiak Airport. As required by ANILCA Sections 810 and 1104, the FAA will hold public hearings in Kodiak, Alaska and Washington D.C. A public comment period for the 810 Evaluation and Title XI application will also occur.
- The public hearing in Kodiak will be held at the Kodiak Harbor Conference Center, 211 East Rezanof Drive, Kodiak, AK from 6 to 8 PM on Thursday, March 21, 2013.
- The public hearing in Washington D.C. will be held from 2 to 4 PM on Monday, March 18, 2013 at the Holiday Inn in Washington DC located at 550 C Street Southwest.
- The public comment period will take place from February 28 to March 28, 2013
Copies of the ANILCA Section 810 Evaluation or the supporting Draft EIS, including the ANILCA Title XI application can be access in the following ways:
- Available for download on this website: http://www.kodiakairporteis.com/documents/documents.htm
- Hard copy available for viewing at the Kodiak City Library
- Hardcopies are available upon request. Send request to Leslie Grey, FAA Project Manager using one of the following methods:
- Email: Leslie.Grey@faa.gov
- Phone(907) 271-5453
- U.S. Mail Leslie Grey - AAL 614, Federal Aviation Administration, Airports Division, 222 West 7th Avenue, Box #14 Anchorage, AK 99513
Preparation of the Final EIS
Review of Public Comments and Preparation of the Final EIS
The public comment period on the Draft EIS closed on December 18th, and the FAA received a number of very good comments from both the public and agencies on the Draft EIS. Over the next several months, the FAA will be working on responding to all comments received on the Draft EIS, with the responses being included in the Final EIS. In the meantime, all comments received on the draft have been uploaded to this website for your reference. The FAA hopes to have the Final EIS ready sometime in the summer.
Also over the next several months, the FAA will be working hard to develop and refine a plan to mitigate unavoidable significant environmental effects from the preferred alternatives. The process to develop a mitigation plan will include coordination with the regulatory agencies having jurisdiction over the lands and resources that would be affected.
Additionally, the FAA will be having an Alaska National Interest Lands Conservation Act (ANILCA) Title XI hearing to receive comments on the potential impacts on those lands protected by ANILCA (in this case, the Alaska Maritime National Wildlife Refuge).Thank you for your ongoing participation in the project.
The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and The Barnard Dunkelberg & Company Consulting Team welcome you to the Kodiak Airport Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) Project Web site. This web site is provided as a tool to track progress and keep interested individuals involved in the latest developments regarding the EIS.
As the EIS process evolves we'll keep the site updated. The generalized Project Schedule is available and will be updated as milestones are reached to show were we are currently at in the EIS process. Additionally, you'll find Working Paper documentation, Contact Information, and other related EIS resources as well as other valuable information as they become available. Again, welcome to the Kodiak Airport EIS Project Web site and we look forward to keeping you informed and up-to-date during the tenure of the project.
Additionally, FAA Project Update Letters will be posted, which provide the current progress as well as status updates of the EIS.